Portfolio

Portfolio

Monday, January 2, 2012

Glassy (sardine) run -Parambassis ranga (tanga)


Glassy (sardine?) run -Parambassis ranga (tanga)


Migrations or mass animal behaviour fascinate man and facilitate wonderful photo opportunities.
We all know about the wildebeest (and zebra) migration in East Africa, the sardine run in South Africa, the whale shark of Seychelles and many others. As some know I am a (keen) diver and photo man. I am also a great Seychelles supporter (together with Springboks, Proteas and Man United). I am happy to report that I may have discovered something, I think so in any event. I have been diving the Seychelles now for five years and have observed something interesting, for me at least. I call it the Glassy run! or Ranga tanga!
Every year around December (if it was a good year) it appears that millions of glass fish or parambassis ranga hatch and congregate in giant schools  around the large granitic coral rock underwater in Seychelles. I have now regularly witnessed these around my favourite dive sites off Mahe (Harrisons, Johnnies, Turtle rock). The glass fish attract large schools of giant and golden king fish or trevally (Gnathanodon speciosus)  (or is it jackfish?-Fish names vary across the globe) that feast on the glassies. Other fish like rock cods join in the fund and voila we have a mini sardine run or a parambassis ranga tanga!    As a diver it makes for an awesome experience when these large schools of trevally patrol past you, a few minutes after you arrive on the scene of their feast. Needless to say some good photos may be shot if you remember to push the button and get your framing etc. done.

Sadly it appears that the local fishermen have also caught in the act and they now send out  a small flotilla to harvest trevally when the tanga happens. It reminds me of the chokka boats of Jeffreys Bay (East Cape) which I also saw getting of the ground in similar fashion in the early eighties. I thought it necessary to record and submit my amateur observation of the ranga tanga for comment. (My buddy partner Sue is my witness as is my old collaboteur, Andrew Kemp and his partner Fernanda when they were with us in 2010)

This year was special for me as I had not dived since early January for medical reasons.-I had a total hip replacement earlier this year and it was advised not to dive for at least four months. I made the successful return on the 14th of December at Johnnies and to my great surprise and happiness the glassies were there. I could not see the swim thru at all, one black hole only. It was not long when we were surrounded by the posse or rather the cavalcade or large school of golden and giant trevally. Awesome sight! They just roll by, nosy and inquisitive and then disappear as suddenly as they appeared, only to return at least once more during the dive. The next day at Harrisons the flotilla was there before us and we had a dive and a similar experience, although we missed the reef initially when three giant buffalo parrot fish diverted our attention. We sadly carried no cameras as I was still building up to diving with camera again.

Two weeks later I thought the tanga was gone when we finally went for a dive (with cameras). As we dropped into perfect viz at Johnnies I was overwhelmed and almost wet my pants (forgive the pun) when I saw the glassies were still there. It did not take long for the posse to arrive. I have some evidence this time…..see below.

Oh by the way it is great to be back as a diving photographer. Wow, did I miss it! Also is the coral not looking great! I have noted a succinct improvement over the last twelve months.





No comments:

Post a Comment